I never thought I would own my own business, but here I am one year after At Home Senior Fitness trained its very first client!
What have I accomplished in that year?
- I have worked with two web designers to establish a presence on the internet: http://www.athomeseniorfitness.net.
- I have been supported by and supported the work of the Cleveland East Senior Network–bringing entertainment and joy to seniors in long-term care facilities, while creating connections with others who serve older adults.
- I have built my client list to over 30! The youngest are in their 50s and the oldest in their 90s. They are mostly in Ohio, but I train clients remotely in California, New Jersey, Illinois, and even Israel! I am joined in my fitness classes by folks from the Bronx to Vancouver.
- I have turned a profit and been able to re-invest in the business and give charitably.
- I have been interviewed for newspapers and radio for my expertise in working with older adults.
- I have maintained this blog; it now has over 300 followers.
Through it all, I have gotten to know some pretty amazing clients. The relationships are what make it all worthwhile; I have tried to be there for my clients and they have been supportive and flexible–especially when I was out for a few weeks after my kidney donation surgery.
Most importantly, I have watched my clients progress. They have become stronger and more flexible. Goals are being met. Nothing thrills me more than hearing “I went up the stairs and didn’t even get winded,” or “I walked four miles,” or “people tell me that they notice something different.” Everyone has engaged me as their trainer or group fitness instructor for a different reason; I am honored that they have entrusted me to help them reach their fitness goals.
What’s ahead for Year 2? Lots of exciting and new stuff is planned for the coming 12 months…but let me get through the Jewish High Holidays first!
Thanks to everyone (especially my wife who believed I could do this) for making me and At Home Senior Fitness the success that it is!